March 16, 2011

Deep snow, and donating

Wow. Today was deep. Just ridiculously, absurdly deep.

Though as good a day as we had on the mountain, it’s crazy to know that so many people close to us are dealing with so much loss. So before I get into our day, here’s a link about donating to the relief efforts in Japan. If you can contribute, the Japanese can use the help.


As for our wellbeing, there’s a lot of conflicting news reports about the severity of the nuclear threats and whether those threats will increase or decrease. The one consensus seems to be that we remain in a fairly safe spot in Japan. Tom and I have talked about our options, and barring some major development, we plan to stay here until Monday, as scheduled.

If today was any indication, we’ll have plenty of snow to enjoy in the next couple of days. We woke this morning to heavy snow falling, but only a dusting had accumulated on the ground. Happo One, on the other hand, had picked up a massive amount of snow. More than a foot at the higher elevations, and coming down hard throughout the day. A big group of us — Tom, Jon, Dan, Katja, Lachlan, Kirsti and myself — spent the morning up high in the deep snow. After yet another bakery lunch (becoming a daily stop), we moved down to the trees on the lower mountain. Here are some photographic highlights from the day: 

 Tom

 Jon

 Katja

 Lachlan

 Kirsti

 Tom again

 Jon again

 More Jon

 Jon kept finding the really deep snow today

Dan looks for a soft landing. He found one. 

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link for contributions. It's good to have a reliable source as to which organizations actually use their donations responsibly.
    As for you and Tom getting home, I can't wait and Monday night won't come soon enough for me. But I trust that you're following the news and would get out of there fast if needed. Some countries are evacuating their citizens, but the US has not recommended that yet - as I'm sure you're aware. At least the embassy knows where you are.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should learn the Japanese word for 'unforgettable.' It would sum things up nicely. You know we're all following the news very closely, and it's reassuring to read your posts. And the ski photos continue to amaze and spark wanderlust from us here in the heartland/flatland.

    I loved the post on language - it reminded me of when we were in Stockholm for 8 hours and I could not for the life of me remember 'excuse me' no matter how many times i reread my cheat sheet or asked someone. That's without the entirely different alphabet excuse.

    See you soonish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Greg! Your blog is amazing. I've been following it closely, even though I wasn't officially "following" it until now. Thanks for keeping us posted that you guys are ok. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure it's been quite an adventure but happy to hear you'll be heading home very soon. Good luck w/ all your travels! Debbie Small

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep, it's been a memorable trip in many ways. coming home soon, though, so probably reaching the last of the blog posts soon

    ReplyDelete