March 4, 2011

Finding what we came for

With 100 kph winds forecast for Happo, we decided to take a chance on Cortina today. At the very least, we figured, we could eat pizza and enjoy the onsen. We hitched a ride with Patrick, filling the van with Tom, Jon, Katja, Dan and myself. Sure enough, we ate pizza, enjoyed the onsen and … skied lots of deep powder.

Tommy takes over camera duties for a couple of runs, and catches me in tele action

Today was the type of day we came to Japan to have. Tons of snow on every run. Seemingly every powderhound in Hakuba had the same plan as us (including Kate and Sarah, who we bumped into early in the day and later joined for some laps). Riding up the lift, we kept watching skiers and boarders bursting from the trees, spraying snow while yipping and whooping and garnering cheers from the lift. Plenty of competition for fresh lines, but we all found our share.

Jon hits a drop

 More fresh for me


  Jon looks for some more pow

 Found it

Tom, getting deep

Once the front and backsides of Cortina were tracked out, we moved inside for Part II: pizza. I was quite satisfied with my creation today. A light layer of teriyaki sauce on the bottom, then tomato sauce, slices of ham and pepperoni, lots of cheese, a bit of onion and more pepperoni, topped off with a thin layer of cheese. Deeeelicious.

Post-lunch brought two more runs, followed by the onsen. All in all, best day in Japan so far. 



 Tom, in there somewhere

3 comments:

  1. Loved the recap of your "best day in Japan so far." Thanks for keeping us posted. My only concern, when you're buried in snow so deep can you see trees coming up that may crash into you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think the trees would crash into them. They would more likely crash into the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not my boys. They've assured me they would never crash into trees, so I just wanted to make sure those trees couldn't move and surprise them.

    ReplyDelete